Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Google Content Experiments.Should Google Let Users Decide Which Website Offers The Best Content?

Last week, I decided to do an experiment to see if Googles really offers the best content in the search results.I gathered 10 family members that loves to Google everything. I wanted to see from a users experience whether or not google search engine first page results answered their problems.

Now, while doing this experiment, I didn't let anyone know exactly what it was I was doing until afterwards, because I wanted them to be actual users. As it turns out, most of them found what they were looking for on page 7-10 in the results. Very few found it on the first page, and if they did find good content , it wasn't relevant for the situation. How many of you have this experience?

For the past couple days, I have been doing a lot of high traffic search terms, and I found something interesting. Most content that is on the first page for these search terms are about 5-8 years old. Now this doesn't mean that the content wasn't good. In fact the articles were great, but most of the information is outdated. The updated articles that could have really helped were on page 7 and up in the search results. That to me is a problem. Not only is that a problem for me as a user, but if you're a publisher and write great content that is beneficial, but your articles never get seen because you can't compete with articles that are 5-8 years old and still on the first page of Google.

So what can Google do about this? They have a great system in place with their algorithm that allows them to weave out useless content. With their own formula in place, I think hinders a lot of great information from being seen.

I would suggest to Google to have a rotation from page 1-10 and see how the user interact with websites on different pages  and compare it with others.By placing sites from different pages and placing them on page 1 for a week for good search terms can give Google a better feel for what is the best content for users, instead of having the same results for 10 years still at number one. Now all publishers have to do is try and make it to the top 5-10 page results to earn traffic and get credibility.

When you read most articles, they will tell you "Content Is King", and I agree. However, if you can't get to page 1-2 on Google your site won't reach it's full potential. Now for the sake of argument, I know there are different ways to build traffic with Google, but lets face it, if you're on the first page of Google for a good keyword, you can get a lot of traffic.

What is your take on this article? Should Google remain the same in the area of search results, or should they mix it up weekly to find which article is better for their users? Let me know what you think in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment